1. I spent the better part of the morning purging my reading material: magazines, articles, and books. I’m getting rid of a bag of books, recycling a load of magazines, and creating a folder for articles I want to read. Reading is a hobby of mine. I love to read blogs, cookbooks, the local newspaper, biographies, historical fiction, Anne-Tyler-type fiction, and books about spirituality. I came to the realization that while I can’t read everything I can take time everyday to read something. With this focus it was easier to do the purge.
2. Yesterday I made a batch of One-pan Blondies. When I melted the butter and added the sugar it got a bit warmer than I intended, so when I stirred in the chocolate chips they melted. Well the results of my mistake were (and still are) delicious: a chewy brownie with coconut and pecans. If you want to try my mistake just make this recipe but warm the butter and sugar enough so that the chocolate chips melt when added but not so warm that the eggs scramble. I did add the optional coconut.
3. Two of my LittleAprons get out of school on Thursday. Our plans for the summer involve a week-long camp for one, a baseball camp for another, a vacation together, and a visit with the best male cook’s family. In between we relish the lack of schedule and time for swimming, eating popsicles, and eating dinner later in the evening in my favorite place: the patio.
4. I can’t believe this but in my mind I’m outlining a new cookbook proposal. While I’m not sure where e-books will take the rest of the book world, I believe there’s a place in our kitchens and homes for real, hand-on cookbooks.
5. I’ve switched from electronic methods of to-do lists to a handwritten one in a Moleskine. I like it much better than anything electronic. I think this has to do with my pen and notebook addiction that I fear my TweenApron has caught. She’s always shopping for a new notebook or putting together a new 3-ring binder.